Saturday, June 9, 2012

Let my Words Live on!

This week I taught a real estate class that was challenging for different reasons than classes are normally challenging. While I believe no individual is really desirous of hearing about the quirks of my week, I do think that it is interesting in at least one way. I finished writing a book this week.

Now before anyone runs to the bookstore or Kindle, you must realize that it is essentially a textbook. While textbooks are not my favorite writings, I do notice (even with text books) that there is something great to writing. While I don't think any of us (at least the normal people who aren't Curt Heffelfinger or Al Mohler) are talented enough to do it every day, I do think that there are definite benefits to writing just about anything.

Recently, my sister talked about taking down her blog (which, if you actually read my blog, you should upgrade to read hers and encourage her to continue the good work). The actual great thing about writing, however, is that if she never touches her blog again, there is always good stuff there that future generations can go back, read, and be wowed by.

There is just something permanent about writing. I've tried to do a radio show (if you're REALLY bored, waste some time here) and that is really cool. But that is a more difficult media to perpetuate. I remember spending hours in the library at law school (not studying, just not having anywhere to be and being upset that someone else hogged all the internet). I found an old book that I would skim through (reading just isn't all that fun, so I did what every lazy American should, I pretended to read and actually just picked sentences that had bold words). This book quickly became a favorite of mine.

It is amazing how reading can be so incredibly moving. Years later, the words are just as fresh, yellow pages notwithstanding. Almost eight years ago, I heard a sermon by my pastor, where he mentioned a treatise by C.S. Lewis on the value of reading, especially old books (If you go there, make sure you read the last paragraph on page 1, it is literally life changing).

The truth is that even though the book I wrote will be read by single digits of people (hey, if you wanna become a real estate agent, you too can read it, just contact me and sign up for the class) that gratification that I now have a piece of material that I can just send to people is awesome!

A well-written piece is something that can live beyond you. While our individual impact will probably not be much, the reality is there are certain things we can do to extend our reach to future generations, and few, if any, are as easily accomplished, yet so difficult to recognize as our writing. Which, I guess, is the entire reason I write this blog!

4 comments:

  1. This piece roams about and doesn't make a point until the last paragraph-and that point is so obvious that it doesn't deserve space on the internet. Also, your blue links are way too hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least my obvious point was correct. Some of my writings are just blatantly incorrect! I appreciate the prodding to be more relevant!

      Delete
    2. Pelham, are you "Anonymous"? I have more I would like to say to you, but it is hard to say it when I don't know who I am addressing.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this post, except for 1) the link to my blog, which serves as a painful reminder of my woeful inadequacy in keeping it up and 2) the comment by the anonymous person above, who I cannot even properly address.

    ReplyDelete