Monday, February 20, 2012

Struggling, but Encouraged

When I was young, I, like all other little kids, didn't need to be taught to do the wrong thing. It came naturally to me. I did many stupid things as a child, to which I am sure my mother, father, and sister would attest.

Something happened along the way, however, and I began to show vestiges of being a new creature. This is the person that is occasionally likable. And when I am so, it is the work of Christ in me that you notice. I am so blessed to have been able to be used by God for years, and I hope to consistently walk worthy of that calling.

While I'd love to be that guy all the time, occasionally, I still fall far short of what I desire and Christ would have for me to do. There have been moments where I think that I am in good company. However, while I can take solace in the fact that the Apostle Paul was likewise falling short, I don't ever want that to be an excuse for me. I need to take ownership when I make a mistake.

So, while it is still this journey of life through which I am muddling, I guarantee that there will be days where I shake my head as I do something generally stupid. Hopefully, I will be challenged to fix it and then I will do the same thing as the apostle Paul. I will confess and conclude, "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus."

Now that you realize I am not perfect, I hope that you will treat me with gentleness and care when I make one of these bone-headed decisions. Recently this happened, and I had a couple friends who were so gracious to me in their exemplification of the Lord by correcting me with grace and truth, that I am all the more thankful for them.

So, as determined as I am to be perfect, I know that I will fail, but I am thankful that not only does God work through the things where it is easy to see him, but He sharpens me with the bad ones and gives me people who invest in my life, and that is something that I can always cherish!

1 comment:

  1. 1) You are likable even when you are doing stupid things. 2) When I give you the opportunity to be a voice of my grace in MY stupidity, you do a smash-bang job of it. Redemption, maybe?

    ReplyDelete