Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Tale of Two Friends

"Friend" Number One is a great person by all accounts. He has a wonderful reputation in the community. I've played football with him and watched sports in his home. We've eaten together, and enjoyed good times of fellowship. This friend seemed to support me and speak well of me, as we agreed our way through life for much of the last several years. He has watched my kids and been a profound influence on their lives.

"Friend" Number Two is a decent person by reputation and doesn't have any huge issues. I don't know him very well, and it seems like our interests are not as in sync as could be. I've never had a complete fellowship experience, and I don't think our families have really met. We passed by each other on a few occasions and exchanged pleasantries. His influence on the lives of me and my family has heretofore been slight.

Recently, however, I went through a difficult time. I was, in my mind, wrongfully accused of some things. At any rate, I was questioned by a few people in some situations. In this situation, both of my "friends" had the opportunity to speak to it. "Friend" Number One told me something to my face, but in the group, he did not back me up. "Friend" Number Two, on the other hand, stood up for me. Valued the things I felt were important and was unwavering in the face of criticisms and questions.

Which of these two would you say was my friend?


I think we all know that it is "friend" number two, and most of us wouldn't need to really consider it. The fact is that shared history, shared interests, and familial connections can provide depth to a relationship, but they certainly are not enough on their own. They do not give us a real relationship. Real friendships are defined by how our "friends" treat us when the chips are down. They are defined by who will defend you when you aren't around. They are defined by who will defend you when you are wrongfully accused.

O Give me a Number of Friends who dislike sports, all you can eat restaurants, and talking business. Give me friends who dislike what I like but are true friends when the tough time comes. Continue to reveal to me that those who share interests who are not really friends. You see, I believe that difficult times merely reveal what is already there. I want to find out the false friends now, so I can start to develop memories and history with the people who have different interests, but a heart of gold when it matters most!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. And so do Tracy Lawrence, Tim McGraw, and Kenny Chesney.

    ReplyDelete