Sunday, December 18, 2011

Prioritizing Being a Good Friend and Christian

Today will be an interesting day for me. My friends who stood by me and have been loyal to me in so many ways are practicing an alteration of theological doctrine. They are still my friends and I know them to be regenerate, but I must admit it is always a struggle when people change their mind to be different than our opinion.

In general, I think we spend so much time talking with people to get them to accept what we think as truth, that we find it an easy transition when they begin to agree with us. On the other hand, I think it is an almost impossible transition when people begin to disagree with us. And yet, with all the conviction we have, big or small, almost all people disagree with us on something. So, getting along with people with whom we disagree is probably something we should work on.

It is a part of the human ego that we must be correct on everything. While I can clearly accept the theoretical position that I am incorrect on something, I definitely don't know what it is, because if I did, I would change my position on that. So, I think I am correct on everything (and I am not alone in this thought process). And it is a big blow to my ego when someone with whom I used to agree now disagrees with me.

But I know it isn't a personal thing when someone changes their mind against my position. It is someone coming to a new conclusion. A conclusion, which by the very proposition of the theoretical is one with which I disagree. But many of these disagreements are not things which should test or challenge our fellowship. I was inspired yesterday, by my friend David Poston, who wrote a note about how the cause of Christ is furthered most by us staying on point.

Now clearly there are issues, which are important enough for us to draw a divide. Thank God for men like Martin Luther, whose courage, resolve, and fortitude on these issues gave us a holiday, like Reformation Day. But when we decide that it is something that does not require this kind of stand, I think we need to determine how we can support our Christian friends.

I think of the account of Abraham taking Isaac to be sacrificed. Abraham knew that Isaac, who had been promised to him for decades, was headed directly to destruction. He knew that Isaac was going to die. Yet, they walked together. I think we need to be like that. When we have a fellow brother who is walking toward his own doom. It could be a reflection of God's personal sacrifice, and of Christ's love for us in so completely trusting and obeying the Father. I think if we could show this kind of attachment to the plan of God, even when we are traveling with someone that we think is headed for destruction. And today, I aim to do that by supporting my friends, who have changed their position on an issue on which I now disagree with them.

1 comment:

  1. Unity in essentials, diversity in non-essentials, charity in everything... And you are correct that you are not right about everything. If you were, I wouldn't be. And of course, I am. :-)

    ReplyDelete