Monday, February 27, 2017

A Few Insufficient Words about Paul West

If you did not attend my father's celebration of life party/funeral, you must watch the video we showed.  At any rate, a few people asked for a copy of my remarks at the funeral.  Here they are.

For the first 18 years of my life (Do you remember back in elementary school or high school? when you are trying to get your identity.  When most of us are wondering what we will ever turn into)– yes that first 18 years of my life– I think everyone knew me as Paul's annoying son.  I was OK with that, I was proud of him, and I was never jealous of anything that he had.  That's probably because my father was the most generous man on the planet.

I was the son they had to put up with to spend time with the greatness of Mr. West.  But somewhere around the end of that childhood, something magical began to happen.  People started telling me that I would turn out just like my father.  I wore it like a badge of honor.  To this day when people tell me that I will end up like him, I get excited.  I think one person even tried to insult me with it, but I took it as such a compliment that it never stuck.

I had a tremendously enthusiastic and energetic father.  When I went to college, it was the one time in life when a majority of the people I knew and interacted with did not know me as the son of Paul.  Nevertheless, his impact was profound.  I remember his calls of encouragement and his championing my choices.  He flew me home to take the real estate exam.  He flew me home to watch my favorite basketball team (Shawn Kemp and the Seattle SuperSonics) in both Miami and Orlando.  He went to law school and told me I should go, too.  He congratulated me and was excited for me when Kelly and I got engaged.  I began to believe that “nothing great in life can happen without enthusiasm.” 

My father was about the most supportive man you could imagine.  He set me up for success in law school by buying me books for classes, hooking me up with an old high school friend of his who ended up being family to Kelly and me while we were in Tallahassee.  When I finally graduated from all my over-education, he hired me.  I’d go off and find other jobs, and he would re-hire me.  I never had to worry about a place to work, as he continued to provide for me even past when you would think it would be normal.

My father was a tremendous grandfather.  He began to move around less and was slightly less energetic, but he was a grandfather who had inside jokes with every grandkid.  He made each of them feel super special.  He continued to exhibit to me what it means to be a good father and husband.  He was an endless supply of love for all of us.  He truly rejoiced with us when we rejoiced and wept with us when we were weeping.

I feel blessed beyond measure that I had the most loving father.  I’ve read that many people struggle with a concept of God because their earthly fathers were not.  But through my father, I have easily learned what it means to have a God who gives us endlessly.  I see what it means to know a heavenly Father who likes to give good gifts, regardless of our worry.  I see what it is like to have someone who loves you, even when you are unlovable.  But the absolute best thing about my father is that when I tried to tell him stuff like that, he would merely say that he was a shadowy, in-a-glass, dark representation of Christ.  He was flawed, but his Savior was not. 

Throughout my life, I can hear my father quoting Scripture to me (and I still can hear his voice teaching me through Scripture).  You see the legacy of Paul West is not just that he knew a lot of Scripture (though he did), or that he encouraged all of us to learn Scripture (though he did that, too), or that he exemplified what a godly man looks life (once again, he did).  It’s that he did all of that concurrently while all the time saying that you could live like that through the help of his God.  And that has impacted my life so profoundly and I know it has impacted many of you in the same way. 


You see, his legacy will continue by us all applying the great things he taught us and becoming saints like unto him.  This is a precious occasion, as “Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.”  The challenge for me is not to remember him fondly– that is easily done– but rather to live the life that he would be proud of and that can only be done by constantly going to the reservoir of God’s love as my dad has shown me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment