Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Answer

This is not a blog about Allen Iverson.

We live in a society where people are crying out for an answer. If you try to deny it, just look to politics. Those who vote for Obama often refer to him as a savior, Those who are against him often use armagedden-like language to describe our current situation. In fact, some even argue that the slate of candidates aren't good enough to overcome the travesty in which we are stuck.

If you don't believe me, look at our scientists. There is not a contentment to study only those things which are observable, but rather they attempt to determine the genesis of the existence of man, despite it not coming from the scientific method. Those who want to diminish the existence of a god, tout a big bang as occurring, for which they have no real proof. Those who are seeking to prove God, point out the order that exists demands one who created that order.

If you doubt this truth, look at our correctional systems. From early parenting to high security prisons, everyone is looking to determine the best way to arrive at acceptable behavior. Those who promote a love-centric dynamic will downplay punitive discipline, while there are many who abandon love for hard core punishment. We've seen success in almost every landing point in-between.

If you question my assertion, look at our law-makers. Everyone wants to reduce crime, but there are very different ways to look at it. You have some people who argue for the decriminalization of things. You have some who argue that self-policing is the best way to assure proper behavior, while others believe a more authoritative set of rules is best.

I am sure that everyone could come up with their own list of things whereby we have people searching for an answer. You may not even have to come with preconceived sets of people. The fact is that every day people have a variety of things they don't know.

I think the real question is why we care? Why do we search for answers? Could it be as Proverbs 25 states, "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honor of kings is to search out a matter"? I think that definitely plays a role in it, but more than anything, I think it is symbolic of our finity. We are unable to understand.

As I Corinthians 13 says, We know in part only. We see through a glass, darkly. It is only when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. I am forced to come to a conclusion close to that of C.S. Lewis, "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in the world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

I think it is incumbent upon us to help those searching for an answer to find the only answer that will make sense for them. Therefore, it is my goal to know all I can about that answer.

3 comments:

  1. To be fair, only hardcore atheists, or really, college-aged atheists and pop-scientists spend time trying to disprove God. Most scientists are only doing what the scientific method teaches them, to observe and test and hypothesize and report findings. As one of my astronomy professors once said, a discussion of the universe is moreso a spiritual and philosophical topic and less a scientific one. It would do Christianity well to avoid vilifying scientists. Embracing ignorance is one of the many acts attributed to us by greater society, not erroneously I might add.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't vilify anyone and, in fact, state that both sides are using science as an answer to why there is (or isn't) a god. And yes, greater than 51% of scientists will put in their writings things not acquired by the scientific method.

      Delete
  2. I kind of like how you started three paragraphs in a row with "If you doubt me" type language that was slightly different from the previous. I think you should have done that through the whole post!

    ReplyDelete