Saturday, January 26, 2013

Taking Care of Things!

Yesterday, Kelly and I tried to make a field trip for Emily at Sea World into a fun day for the entire family. So, while Kelly went with Emily during the day; Jacob, Julia, and I came after our daily commitments were fulfilled. We also got to meet Daryn, whom we haven't seen in a while, at Sea World. So, it was shaping up to be a fun day. When walking into the park, Jacob dropped our new "cheese-monkey" tablet on the asphalt of the parking lot.

At this point, some back story may be required. Almost a year and a half ago, I took a flight that had WiFi and I was delighted to use my laptop on the trip. It was an awesome experience for me, as I recounted in this blog post. However, as I was on three more flights with similar capabilities in the next few months, I realized that having a whole row to yourself is not the norm when flying, and due to the crowded seating, my fatness, and the bulkiness of the laptop (especially when I cannot use the non-working built-in MOUS), I became fascinated with this new invention—the tablet. Since I don't have enough opportunity to use it often, I decided getting an off brand would be the better way to go.

My wife then, being a much better spouse than I am, decided to make it her mission to get me one. So, shortly after the new year, I had this new-fangled invention in my hands. I should also mention that I have a love-hate relationship with technology. I love it when they make my life easier; I hate it when someone does something to make it different than I want it. For example, I still bemoan the elimination of PaintBrush in 1995 (Paint still lacks some of the awesomeness PaintBrush had); I still have not taken off the protective plastic from my three-year-old laptop screen; I had a record of 1264-0 in Freecell and complain when anyone plays the game on my machine.

So, when the tablet got cracked in its first month in my hands, my natural reaction was to complain and take my frustration out on my son. Yet, after the initial reaction, I was prompted by the Spirit to remember that my nature is to not take care of the things with which I am entrusted as well as God would have me do them. I tried to change my tact at that point. I pointed out to Jacob his need to be more cautious and caring about the things with which God has entrusted us.

We need to take care of those things we have. God has called us to subdue the earth and have dominion over it. We need to protect the earth and that little portion over which we have been set in charge. I don't want to come across as a whacko who believes we should really let the earth rule us, as we have dominion. Nevertheless, with that dominion comes responsibility. We need to be wise in what we do, we need to take care of it and preserve it. Mostly because that brings honor to our God!

And when we fail, as I often do, I like it when God gently nudges me with love to correct me. And being one who bears the image of God, I attempted to do my best to do the same. Whether I succeeded or not (you can ask Jacob next time you see him), I would challenge us all to take better care of that with which we've been entrusted and to being loving in our correction of those who don't. Hopefully the favor of temperament will be returned the next time we neglect to show the care we should over something with which we've been trusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment