Friday, November 4, 2011

I love being...Kelly's husband


I thought it might be appropriate after talking about communication to communicate to those loyal few readers something about who I am.  We go through life with a series of titles, which normally point to our relationship to people that we are tethered to in the mind of someone else.  So, to you, I may be Phil's friend or George's boss or your former employee.  But there are a few titles that I wear as a badge of honor.  Over the next few weeks I will write about some, but there are no earthly titles that I like more than being Kelly's husband!

I met Kelly in high school, when she begged me to help her with computer homework (just ask her).  We became friends quickly, and I learned that she was intelligent, concerned about doing the right thing, competitive, liked baseball, and she thought I was funny.  We developed into better friends, and she visited me in the hospital when I was recovering from surgery.  We were on the ultra-cool engineering team together and participated in a Bible study on Romans that we started with some other friends.  During this time period, we developed a tradition where I would call her every evening at 8:30 PM.

As we moved from high school, here in Orlando, God saw fit to take us to the same college four states away (LeTourneau University), where we remained good friends and continued to talk to each other every night on the phone at 8:30.  It was during this time period that we began dating (my mom says we just began admitting it, but she wasn't there).  We worked together in a few charities, started a Habitat for Humanity club, and again started a Bible study group.  During this time period we got engaged and determined that we like a lot of the same foods, Kelly really only liked the Braves (not baseball, in general), and we started to see what each other's strengths were.

But all of those things aside, I did not realize how great my life would be.  Upon our graduation from college, we were married in a wonderful ceremony performed by Pastor Bill Haynes.  We moved to Tallahassee so that I could go to graduate school.  She worked so hard and never complained.  It was during this time period that I realized Kelly has the ability to make people excited about activities that aren't inherently worthy of excitement.  And while I was extremely excited to get married when we did, I never realized how great of an encourager and supporter she would be.  Since our marriage, I have learned that she will consistently challenge me to follow God's will in every area.  She is incredibly loyal to me, and she will defend me, more than I ever want to defend myself.  She is submissive in a godly way to the point, where I am forever striving to be better just to try to keep up.

There are many one liners or many cheesy movie quotes that I could say, but at the end of the day, God blessed me with a wife who was so much better than I deserve.  And while I have a personality that some might call quirky, Kelly is forever doing things to support me and make me look better.  She allows me to be the focal point when I want to be and allows me to serve even when it is to her detriment.  She does things for me that may go unnoticed by many, and even occasionally by me, but I certainly see that she does things that make me appear better to those outside the family.  She is also always building me up to our children, using her skills of making them excited just to see me.  I frequently think my kids love me more because of Kelly, and that's really cool.  In short, I will never correct anyone or feel any amount of shame if someone knows me as Kelly's husband!  There are so many things I could say, and I may decide to add to this blog later, but basically, I love being Kelly's husband!

2 comments:

  1. I love being Kelly's sister-in-law!!

    Best blog ever! :-) I smiled reading about JETS ("thank you for taking away my lunches") and thought you did just an incredible job specifically listing so many of Kelly's good points. If Jay wrote something this wonderful about me, I'd read it about 77 times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a woman! I'm proud to be her cousin-in-law :-)

    ReplyDelete